Wednesday, October 07, 2009

A treat

Yesterday, a colleague of mine got a promotion. I got to know of it in the evening when I caught up with him reading the letter.
A couple of years ago, this very person, a silent chap, had bought a car – his first I believe – and just like yesterday, I happened to be standing in the parking lot when he was taking the possession. I saw him take the possession awkwardly, an embarrassed rictus in reply to the effusive delivery person in the lookout for some baksheesh, and then walk away.
A couple of days later, I caught up with him and asked him if he’d celebrated that night.
‘No.’
‘Did you tell (I realized I didn’t know anything about his family or whether he lived with them) anyone?’
‘No.’

Yesterday, it was already late evening when I caught up with him. This guy is pretty senior and was actually working on a surprisingly junior role and hence the promotion was more like a correction.

‘So what are you planning to do?’
‘Nothing’, he shrugged.

Since he had to leave early, this time, I made him drive us to the nearby market and share a plate of momos.

2 comments:

Pankaj said...

Sounds like a character from Simon and Garfunkel's "A most peculiar man".

Momos. Yum.

Faiz said...

very poignant .. you should make a full feldged short story out of this ..